War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Evaluations
Every Veteran referred to the WRIISC program receives an "E-consult". One of the E-consult recommendations may be that the Veteran would benefit from a comprehensive, interdisciplinary evaluation with our team.
Who may benefit from a WRIISC Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Evaluation?
- Deployed Veterans with complex health conditions and environmental exposures and no known cause (medically unexplained symptoms, e.g. MUS) who have been thoroughly evaluated by their Primary care provider but questions remain.
- Any deployed Veteran who has had many tests and treatments with little to no symptom improvement
What services are offered during the WRIISC Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Evaluations?
A Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Evaluation includes:
- Comprehensive medical evaluation for post deployment health concerns
- Environmental Exposure Assessments
- Neuropsychiatric and Neuropsychological Evaluations
- Advanced Diagnostic Testing when clinically indicated
- Health Education related to post deployment concerns
- Integrative health and wellness tools and treatment options
- These evaluations are typically done through virtual health as WRIISC sees Veterans from VA centers across the country.
- At the end of the evaluation, WRIISC providers communicate the summary of key clinical findings to both the Veteran using patient-friendly language and the referring provider. The WRIISC evaluation results are linked to the WRIISC Inter-Facility Consult (IFC) so the referring provider is flagged when the WRIISC consult is complete.
Who is eligible?
- Deployed Veterans with medically unexplained symptoms lasting for > 6 months which persist despite local workup and trials of appropriate treatments. If workups are completed outside VA, please have records in VA medical record for review.
- Common Eligible deployments include:
- Vietnam War (1962-1975)
- Gulf War 1 (Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm) (1990-1991)
- Somalia (1992-1994)
- Bosnia-Herzegovinia (1995-1996)
- Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan – 2001 to present
- Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation New Dawn– Iraq – 2003 to present (OIF/OND)
- For combat deployments not listed, please provide specifics on combat deployment.
- Veterans who are medically and psychiatrically stable with no recent substance abuse for the past 6 months.
- Deployed Veterans who have military environmental exposure concerns that persist despite local work-up and Registry evaluation may benefit from WRIISC environmental exposure assessments.
- Veterans who do not have a combat deployment, are not medically or psychiatrically stable, and/or have not completed an initial evaluation of their health symptoms may not be eligible for WRIISC specific services but will be directed to other VA services to help address their needs.
How to make a WRIISC referral?
Detailed information on how to make a WRIISC referral is available here.
Who can I contact for more information?
For further questions about the WRIISC Program, please contact the WRIISC clinical program coordinator at the WRIISC nearest you.
- For the CA WRIISC, this number is 1-888-482-4376.
- For the DC WRIISC, this number is 202-745-8249.
- For the NJ WRIISC, this number is 973-676-1000 ext. 2500.