Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
VA » Health Care » War Related Illness and Injury Study Center » Clinical Services » Clinical Services
War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
- The War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC) is a tertiary care, deployment health center located at the East Orange, NJ, Palo Alto, CA, and Washington DC Veterans Affairs Medical Centers. The WRIISC partners with VA referring providers and healthcare teams to support the care of Veterans. The WRIISC is part of the VA Central Office Health Outcomes Military Exposures (HOME, formerly Post Deployment Health Services).
- WRIISC clinical services include electronic consults, comprehensive interdisciplinary evaluations, environmental exposure assessments, and integrative health and wellness programs. Every WRIISC consult receives an initial comprehensive review and a documented electronic consult in the Veteran’s health records which outline recommendations for the next steps in the Veteran’s plan of care. This plan may include additional WRIISC services such as comprehensive interdisciplinary evaluations.
- WRIISC clinical evaluations are primarily conducted through virtual health as the three WRIISC centers provide services for Veterans throughout the country. Often follow-on recommendations require in-person care through the Veteran’s local VA medical facility. On-site evaluations at specific WRIISC sites may be recommended on a case-by-case basis.
- WRIISC comprehensive interdisciplinary evaluations are second opinion clinical consultations for combat zone deployed Veterans who have chronic, medically unexplained symptoms lasting greater than six months, which persist despite local workups and trials of appropriate treatments, and those with complex deployment exposure related medical conditions that would benefit from a WRIISC evaluation. The WRIISC also provides Veteran and VA health team education, risk communication, and conducts deployment health research.
Clinical Services include:
- Comprehensive Interdisciplinary Evaluations
- Telehealth Program for Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Veterans at WRIISC-DC
- Environmental Exposure Assessments
- Integrative Health and Wellness Services
WRIISC Eligibility and Referral Process: