Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
VA » Health Care » War Related Illness and Injury Study Center » Research » Research Publications » Health Policy and Education
War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
Health Policy and Education
- Krupka C, Santos S, White C, McAndrew LM. Knowledge Gaps and Educational Needs of Veterans Affairs Healthcare Providers Regarding COVID-19 at the Start of the Pandemic.
Am J Infect Control. 2022 May;50(5):575-576. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2022.01.025. Epub 2022 Feb 4.
- Gratz D, Hund TJ, Falvo MJ, Wold LE. Reverse Translation: Using Computational Modeling to Enhance Translational Research.
Circ Res. 2018 May 25;122(11):1496-1498.*
- Helmer DA, Rowneki M, Feng X, Tseng CL, Rose D, Soroka O, Fried D, Jani N, Pogach LM, Sambamoorthi U. State-Level Variability in Veteran Reliance on Veterans Health Administration and Potentially Preventable Hospitalizations: A Geospatial Analysis.
Inquiry. 2018 Jan-Dec;55:46958018756216.*
- Fried DA, Passannante M, Helmer D, Holland BK, Halperin WE. The Health and Social Isolation of American Veterans Denied Veterans Affairs Disability Compensation.
Health Soc Work. 2017 Feb 1;42(1):7-14.*
- McAndrew, L. M., Chandler, H. K., Serrador, J. M., Quigley, K. S., Natelson, B. H., & Lange, G. (2016). Comparison of the Functional Health Limitations of Veterans Deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan to Veterans Deployed to Desert Shield/Storm With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Military Behavioral Health, 4(3), 299-306. doi:10.1080/21635781.2016.1175980
- Fry AC1, Kudrna RA, Falvo MJ, Bloomer RJ, Moore CA, Schilling BK, Weiss LW. Kansas squat test: a reliable indicator of short-term anaerobic power.
J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Mar;28(3):630-5.*
- McAndrew, L. M., Mora, P., Quigley, K., Leventhal, E. & Leventhal, H., (2014). Using the common-sense model of self-regulation to understand symptom reporting.
International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 1-6, doi:10.1007s/12529-013-9372-4.*
- Chua, FB, Rumage, C, Santos, SL, Helmer, DA. (2013) Facilitating Reintegration for Veterans: Patient-Centered, Comprehensive Care, MD Advisor, E1-E4. Winter.
- Lange, GL, McAndrew, L, Ashford, JW, Reinhard, M, Peterson, M, Helmer, DA. (2013) War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC): A Multidisciplinary Translational Approach to the Care of Veterans With Chronic Multisymptom Illness
Military Medicine, 178, 7:705.
- Frayne, SM, Berg, E, Holmes, TH, Laungani, K, Berlowitz, DR, Miller, DR, Pogach, L, Jackson, VW, & Moos, R. (2010). Borders A, McAndrew LM, Quigley KS, Chandler HK. (2012). Rumination moderates the associations between PTSD and depressive symptoms and risky behaviors in U. S. Veterans.
J Trauma Stress, 25(5):583-6.*
- Santos SL, Helmer D, Teichman R. (2012) Risk communication in deployment-related exposure concerns.
J Occup Environ Med, 54(6):752-9.
- Deegan BM, Serrador JM, Nakagawa K, Jones E, Sorond FA, Olaighin G. (2012). The effect of blood pressure calibrations and transcranial Doppler signal loss on transfer function estimates of cerebral autoregulation.
Med Eng Phys. 2011 Jun;33(5):553-62. *
- Lange G, Janal MN, Maniker A, Fitzgibbons J, Fobler M, Cook D, Natelson BH. (2010). Safety and efficacy of vagus nerve stimulation in fibromyalgia: a phase I/II proof of concept trial.
Pain Med. 2011 Sep;12(9):1406-13.*
- Pogach, L, & Aron, D. (2011) Sudden Acceleration of Diabetes Quality Measures.
Time to Pull the Andon Cord? JAMA, 305(7), 709-10.*
- Tseng, CL, Rajan, M, Miller, DR, Lafrance, JP, Pogach, L. (2011). Trends in initial lower extremity amputation rates among Veterans health administration Health Care System users from 2000 to 2004.
Diabetes Care, 34(5), 1157-63. Epub Mar 16.*
- Pogach, L. (2010). Cultural competency training and performance measures to reduce racial disparities in health care quality.
Ann Intern Med, 152(10):685-6. *
- Pogach, L, & Aron, D. (2010). Know your A1c number or your A1c range? The need to implement glycemic numeracy into policy and practice.
J Diabetes, 2(2):67-70.*
- Pogach, L, Rajan, M, Maney, M, Tseng, CL, Aron, D. (2010). Hidden Complexities in Assessment of Glycemic Outcomes: Are Quality Rankings Aligned with Treatment?
Diabetes Care, 33(10), 2133-9. Epub Jul 9.*
- Patel, T.G., Pogach, L.M., Barth, R.H. (2009). CKD screening and management in the Veterans Health Administration: the impact of system organization and an innovative electronic record.
Am J Kidney Dis. Mar;53(3 Suppl 3):S78-85.*
- Aron DC, Pogach LM. (2008). Using the Delphi Method to Inform Performance Measurement Development: How Should Medical Evidence be Interpreted for Policy Decisions?
- Banerjea, R., Findley, P.A., & Sambamoorthi, U. (2008). Disparities in preventive care by body mass index categories among women. Women & Health, 47, 1-17. *
- Helmer, D.A., Tseng, C.L., Rajan, M., Crystal, S., Shen, Y., Miller, D.R., Safford, M.M., Tiwari, A., & Pogach, L. (2008). Can ambulatory care prevent hospitalization for metabolic decompensation?
Medical Care, 46, 148-157.*
- McAndrew, L., Burns, E., Musumeci-Sbazo, T., Mora, P., Halm, E., Vileikyte, L., Leventhal, E., & Leventhal, H. (2008). Using the common sense model to design interventions for the prevention and management of chronic illness threats: From description to process.
British Journal of Health Psychology, 13, 195-204. *
- Santos, S. (2007). Risk Communication. In M. Robson (Ed.), Environmental Health Risk Assessment.
- Shen, Y. (2008). Choice of a regular physician and health care utilization: Principal-agent issues for veterans and VA care. Applied Economics, 40, 449-463.
- Shen, Y., Hendricks, A., Wang, F., Gardner, J., & Kazis, L.E. (2008). The impact of private insurance coverage on veterans’ use of VA care: Insurance and selection effects. Health Services Research, 43, 267-286. *
- Tuler, S, Chess, C., Santos, S.L., Danielson, S., Webler, T. (2008).“ Selecting the Right Tool for Evaluations: Guidance for Community Involvement Practitioners” EPA Public Involvement Network News (online edition ) Winter.
- Aron, D. & Pogach L. (2007). Specialists versus generalists in the era of pay for performance: “a plague o’ both your houses!”,
Quality and Safety in Health Care, 16, 3-5.*
- Danielson, S., Santos, S.L., Webler, T., & Tuler, S. P. (2007). Building and breaking a bridge of trust in a Superfund site remediation. Special issue of International Journal of Global Environmental Issues.
- Santos, S., Helmer, D.A., Copeland, H.L. & Simon, J. (2007). Developing a bio-terrorism preparedness campaign for veterans: Using focus groups to inform materials development.
Health Promotion & Practice, 8(1): 31-40. *
- Haidet, P., Kelly, P.A., Bentley, S., Blatt, B., Chou, C.L., Fortin, A.H., Gordon, G., Gracey, C., Harrell, H., Hatem, D.S., Helmer, D., Paterniti, D.A., Wagner, D. & Inui, T.S. (2006). for the Communication, Curriculum, and Culture Study Group. Not the same everywhere: Patient-centered learning environments at nine medical schools.
Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21(5):405-9.*
- Lincoln AE, Helmer DA, Schneiderman AI, Li M, Copeland HL, Prisco MK, Wallin MT, Kang HK, Natelson BH. The War-Related Illness and Injury Study Centers: A resource for deployment-related health concerns.
Mil Med 2006;171:577-585. *
- Silverstein, B. Findley, P.A., Bode, R. (2006). Assessing skilled nursing facility rehabilitation effectiveness: How useful are the nursing home quality measures and quality indicators?
Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 87(8): 1021-1025.*
- Wei, W., Findley, P.A. & Sambamoorthi, U. (2006). Disability and receipt of clinical preventive services among women.
Women’s Health Issues, 16(6) 286-296.*
- Shen Yujing, Hendricks Ann M, Li Duozhe, Gardner John, Kazis Lewis. (2005). VA-Medicare dual beneficiaries' enrollment in Medicare HMOs: favorable selection and access.
Medical Care Research and Review, 62(4).*
- Wallin MT & Chapman JC. Evaluation of Combat Veterans: Lessons Learned from the War Related Illness and Injury Study Center-Washington, DC. Health Services Research and Development Forum, 2005.
- Pogach L, Charns MP, Wrobel JS, Robbins JM, Bonacker KM, Haas L, Reiber GE. (2004). Impact of policies and performance measurement on development of organizational coordinating strategies for chronic care delivery.
Am J Manag Care, 10 (2 Pt 2): 171-80.*
- Schneiderman AI, Lincoln AE, Curbow BA, Kang HK. Variations in health communication needs among combat veterans.
Am J Public Health 2004;94:2074-2076. *
- Weeks WB, Kazis LE, Shen Yujing, Cong Z, Ren XS, Miller DL, Austin P, Jonathan B. (2004). Differences in health-related quality of life in rural and urban veterans
Am J Public Health, 94:1762-1767. *
- Copeland HL, Brzytwa E, Blixen C, Hewson MG. (2003). Managed Care Education for Nurses: Practices and Recommendations. Nursing Economics:
The Journal for Health Care Leaders, 21: 24-30.*
- Santos S. (2003). Evaluating stakeholder involvement methods. Risk Analysis.
- Wayne DB, Greenberg SB, Helmer DA, Hyman DJ. (2003). Ambulatory internal medicine education: Use of an urgent care center.
South Med J, 96: 876-79.*
*Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Websites.