Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
VA » Health Care » War Related Illness and Injury Study Center » Research » Research Publications » Pain
War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
- Mohanty, A.F., McAndrew, L.M., Helmer, D., Samore, M.H., & Gundlapalli, A.V. (2018). Chronic Multisymptom Illness Among Iraq/Afghanistan-Deployed US Veterans and Their Healthcare Utilization Within the Veterans Health Administration (HealthViEWS).
J Gen Intern Med. DOI: 10.1007/s11606-018-4479-6.
- Nassif, T., Chapman, J., Sandbrink, F., Norris, D., Soltes, K., Reinhard, M., & Blackman, M. (2015). Mindfulness meditation and chronic pain management in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with traumatic brain injury: A pilot study.
Military Behavioral Health, 4(1), 82-89.*
- Li M, Xu C, Yao W, Mahan CM, Kang HK, Sandbrink F, Zhai P, and Karasik PA (2014). Self-reported post-exertional fatigue in Gulf War Veterans: roles of autonomic testing.
Frontiers in Neuroscience, 7:269.*
- Romesser J, Booth J, Benge J, Pastorek N, Helmer D. (2012). Mild traumatic brain injury and pain in Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom Veterans.
J Rehabil Res Dev, 49(7):1127-36.*
- Lange G, Janal MN, Maniker A, Fitzgibbons J, Fobler M, Cook D, Natelson BH. (2011). Safety and efficacy of vagus nerve stimulation in fibromyalgia: a phase I/II proof of concept trial.
Pain Med. 2011 Sep;12(9):1406-13.*
- Ciccone, D.S., Chandler, H.K., & Kline, A. (2010). Catastrophic Appraisal of Acute and Chronic Pain in a Population Sample of New Jersey National Guard Troops.
Clinical Journal of Pain, 26, 712-721.*
- Helmer, D.A., Chandler, H.K., Quigley, K.S., Blatt, M., Teichman, R., & Lange, G. (2009). Chronic widespread pain, mental health, and physical role function in OEF/OIF Veterans.
Special Issue of Pain Medicine, 10(7), 1174-82. *
- Raphael, K.G. & Ciccone, D.S. (2008). Psychological aspects of chronic orofacial pain.
In Y. Sharav & R. Benoliel (Eds.), Textbook of Orofacial Pain and Headache (UK: Elsevier Ltd.)
- Chandler, H.K., Ciccone, D.S., & Raphael, K.G. (2006). Localization of pain and self reported rape in a female community sample.
Pain Medicine, 7(4):344-352.*
- Allen K, Salgado T, Janal MN, Thompson VP. (2005). Removing carious dentin using a polymer instrument without anesthesia versus a carbide bur with anesthesia.
Journal of the American Dental Association, 136:643-651.*
- Cook DB, Lange G, Ciccone DS, Liu WC, Steffener J, Natelson BH. (2004). Functional imaging of pain in patients with primary fibromyalgia.
Journal of Rheumatology, 31:364-378. *
- Raphael K, Chandler H, Ciccone D. (2004). Is childhood abuse a risk factor for chronic pain in adulthood?
Current Pain & Headache Reports, 8: 99-110. *
- Cook DB, O'Connor PJ, Ray CA. (2000). Muscle pain perception and sympathetic nerve activity to exercise during opioid modulation.
American Journal of Physiology- Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 279: R1565-R1573.
- Cook DB. (2002). Assessing muscle pain. In V.R. Preedy ,T.J. Peters (Eds.), Skeletal Muscle: Pathology, Diagnosis and Management of Disease.
London: Greenwich Medical Media Limited, 503-512.
- Raphael K, Natelson B, Janal M, Nayak S. (2002). A community-based survey of fibromyalgia-like pain complaints following the World Trade Center terrorist attacks.
*Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Wwebsites.